× This is the forum to discuss the Apple desktop computers including Mac Mini, iMac and Mac Pro.

Mac Mini Late 2014

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #6 by purana
Mac Mini Late 2014 was created by purana
I picked up a 2nd hand Mac Mini (Late 2014) for $350 (dual core boohoo). This model is the one with no optical drive, and has the onboard memory. Good news is it was configured with 16GB out of the factory by who ever purchased it originally. Bad news is it was never configured with an SSD. It only has the 500GB spinning drive.

Anyways, while I think its a good purchase for the price. I got to say its one of the slowest Mac Mini's I have ever used. Everything you do you end up seeing beach ball. Remember this machine has 16GB memory out of the box. I don't get why it seems so slow. Anyways, you can add an NVME SSD. Just waiting on the part to show up so I can install my 256GB NVME SSD into it.

Then we will reinstall and see how it performs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #9 by SRG
Replied by SRG on topic Mac Mini Late 2014
Yes have one of these with a 500GB Drive as well. Sadly drive is on its final legs and as you say super slow,

I self upgrade the memory but these are a little bit more complex to try and slip a SSD into them.

Back then I think it was around a grand new, but now the entry level is a bit expensive for my mind.

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #10 by purana
Replied by purana on topic Mac Mini Late 2014
Changing the laptop drive is a massive task. I ordered a kit that gives me the required tools to do it. I might give it a go, waiting on the adapter I need to install the NVME SSD. When that finally shows up I will crack it open. I sure hope the SSD and reinstall of operating system improves the overall feel. Because its horrible with the constant beach ball.

Not sure what Apple did, but I purchased this from new. I would of sent it back in disappointment.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds